Fascinated by pop culture’s misconnection with the real, Micaela is an artist who challenges the notion of splendid isolation in today’s commercial world.
Her work as a photographer shows her passionate instinct for obstructing traditional ways of viewing. Expanding conversations on objectivity and ownership to question not only how we look at women but also how we look at the wider world. A fierce advocate for expanding the notions of female gaze, her work is about revealing the taught language of looking through exposing a personal dissociation with the persuasive nature of culture today.
Raised between Los Angeles and Argentina, and consequently living in New York, Paris and now London, Micaela has formed a hyper-awareness of outsiderdom, the need to define her own roots and a feeling of always being lost in translation. Her work has transformed this into aesthetic experimentation as a form of personal reflection.
Micaela’s practice was founded on her degree in Art and Philosophy from the Sorbonne, in Paris, and she has since worked for two years alongside Rankin, developing a clear understanding of the advertising world and how that ties back and informs her art.
Addicted to making work, always on a plane, always digging deeper and experimenting with technique. Micaela layers her experiences within her art just as she layers colour, to form a juxtaposition of truth and altered states.
-Micaela is available for commissions worldwide-
- 2013- Licence Arts Plastiques, Université Panthéon Sorbonne, Paris
- 2010 - Foundation in Painting, Art Students League, NYC
- 2008 - Painting/Photography Santa Monica College, Los Angeles
- 2006 - BFA Fine Art Cal State University, San Francisco
- 2017 May, EXIT Sid Motion Gallery London
- 2015 June, solo show "Cirrus" Castor Gallery New York City
- 2015 January, "18 percent" Castor Gallery New York City
- 2015 November, "Lost Love" SuperMassiveBlackHole Dublin
- 2014 August “Inside/Out” Castor Gallery New York City
- 2014 May “Process” New York City
- 2014 May La galerie Soufflot, Paris
- 2008 October “International LA Photographic Art Exposition” Santa Monica
- Marriott, Adidas, Rolls Royce, Liu Jo, Condé Nast Traveller, Vice, L'Oreal, Samsonite, Haute Living, Hunger Magazine, Exit, Ninjatune Records, i-D, Refinery29, Dunhill, Port Magazine, Warp Records, Other People Records
- "The Life Aquatic" Condé Nast Traveller October 2019 pages 62-64
- "Cosmic Vibrations" Office Magazine September 2019
- Spotz 004 Ryan McGinley 2019 New York City
- Spotz 001 Chad Moore 2019 New York City
- "AU/RA TALKS INSTAGRAM ANXIETY, GROWING UP " Hunger Magazine June 2018 London, UK
- "Munroe Bergdorf" Hunger Magazine issue 14 2018 London
- " on Campus: Micaela McLucas" Exit Magazine Issue 34 October 2017 London, UK
- "On the march with Anish Kapoor and Ai Weiwei" i-D magazine, 2015 London, UK
- Fisheye Magazine,Issue #11 2015 Paris France:
- "THE PAST PRESENT: To Pierre Bergé" Haute Living, May 2014 Paris France https://hauteliving.com/2014/05/past-present-pierre-berge-film-life-lifelong-partner-yves-saint-laurent-gift-treasured/489434/
- No Thoughts Book 11 Time & Space 2014 New York City
- 2019 Art Gorgeous, Hong Kong
- 2019 LensCult https://lenscult.net/micaelamclucas/
- 2018 Mortimer House, London, UK https://www.mortimerhouse.com/notebook/article/micaela-mclucas-photographic-wanderlust-and-keepin/
- 2018 Young Creative Council, Badass Gal, London, UK https://www.badass.gal/blog/micaelamclucas
- 2017 Exit Magazine x Adidas
- 2017 HUNGER Magazine "Curated by girls"
- 2017 Curated by Girls, Berlin, Germany
- 2015 The Daily Mail, London UK
- 2015 Beautiful Savage, New York
- 2015 Autre Magazine, Los Angeles, California
- 2015 The Editorial Magazine, Montreal, Canada
- 2014 VNDL Magazine, New York
- 2014 “Wild Nights: Micaela McLucas” The Wild Magazine, New York http://thewildmagazine.com/blog/wild-nights-micael...
- 2014 No Culture Icons Leeds, United Kingdom
- 2014 “Inside/Out Tomorrow” Art-Nerd, New York
- 2014 Preview, “Inside/Out” Arrested in Motion, New York http://arrestedmotion.com/2014/08/previews-insideo...
- 2014 “Process Opens Tonight” Art-Nerd, New York
- 2014 Stay Young Zine
- 2014 Splash & Grab Magazine Melbourne, Australia http://splashandgrab.co.uk/post/86004510155/micael...
- 2014 “Previews, Inside/Out” Compound Project, New York
- 2014 “Process” Art Update, New York
- 2011 Whudat, Germany
- 2011 DSGNR, Chile
- 2010 “Photographic duo reaches for digital absurdity” Baruch City University of New York